1000 Dollar Experiment

We are joyfully creating our lives. We welcome prosperity, health, beauty, love, friendship, and all wonderful, positive things. Sometimes we play the Prosperity Game. Google it, sweetheart.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Now that everyone is reading Shaking, I've got $20K to spend.

Things have slowed down around here, now that Diane has spent the last of her $20,000 and Cathy and Rayne are heading into finals. Me, what is my excuse? Work and I needed my wish list to grow.

As long as we are exercising our imagination and spending fantasy money, I'm going to plan my fantasy wedding. Unless I find out it costs more than $20,000, then I'll be planning only PART of my fantasy wedding.

First off, location. I want to get married at Berger Park. It is one of two mansions in the park district you can rent out and this is in my neighborhood. On a Saturday (it would be a saturday night, starting with heavy appetizers, then havdalah, then the wedding, then dancing... and probably dinner somewhere in there.) it costs $250/hour with a five hour minimum. So the space will be $1250. Although if I want time to decorate before the party... I'll make it ten hours so I don't burst into tears when the first guest arrives and I'm in jogging pants. $2500.

Let's see... then there is food. Caterer's don't put much informtion online do they? Lots of photographs and lots of menus, but no pricing. Grrr. I'm going to guess $75/person. This is Chicago and it is my Fantasy. I'm also saying 100 guests. So $7500 on food.

Gulp. I've already spent $10,000 and I don't have a dress, flowers, or a photographer.

I've always been told, don't skimp on the photographer. I want to use the same one my boss did for some of the coolest shots around chicago. Jai Girard. But if my boss could afford her, chances are she'll take a big bit out of my budget. Is $3000 a good estimate? $3500?

So a dress. It won't be this $600 classic DENIM wedding dress, although the more I look at it, the more i kind of like it. Truth is, I kind of want a non-wedding wedding dress. Kind of like in In Her Shoes. In the movie version, she wears a fantastic knee length dress that her sister makes. I can only find a photo of the top of the dress, but you get an idea. I'm going to budget $2000 for a dress. I won't tell anyone it is a wedding dress and I won't have to pay as much.

Flowers look to be around $1000, so I'll go with that average. (Okay, I just found that the typical Chicago wedding costs $21,440.00, so really I'm not too far off to be planning with $20,000. Of course, this doesn't include a honeymoon...) Things I'm missing...
Guest gifts, wedding rings, music, dance lessons, fee for the rabbi, cost of the chuppa, tuxedos and other stuff.

Mainly I want Berger Park, a good photographer, a funky dress, and a fun party. Lots of dancing, great views of the lake, a chuppa quilted from my mom's wedding dress.

Oh and a great groom. I also want Simon Stein from In Her Shoes. He would, of course, be free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home