1000 Dollar Experiment

We are joyfully creating our lives. We welcome prosperity, health, beauty, love, friendship, and all wonderful, positive things. Sometimes we play the Prosperity Game. Google it, sweetheart.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Chapter about the Wedding.


Why do you want to hear about the wedding again? I've told you the story a hundred times, you grew up surrounded by photographs. I promise you, your wedding will be just as wonderful. But, sweetie, you have to know that it isn't the most important day of the marraige. It is just the first day.

Fine, fine, I'll tell you the story.

We could have gotten married anywhere in the city, but I had my heart set on Berger Mansion on Sheridan. Just a few blocks from my condo and my shul, it was one of the last old mansions on Sheridan road. It is still there, you know, a little worse for the wear, but there. Next time you go back to visit your cousins, take a day trip up to Chicago and visit. We used to take you there when you were a baby...

It was a Saturday night in the fall. We started with light appetizers and havdalah. Then all the candles in the mansion were lit from the Havadalah candle. There were flowers everywhere, just everywhere. It wasn't overdone, but it was lovely. Then everyone was ushered outside to the lakefront. There were some chairs for our older guests, but for the most part everyone gathered around us in a deep circle.

Of course there was the ketubah signing and the veiling and a chuppah. My rabbi officiated, most of the ceremony was in Hebrew, but he did a good job of including my family and our non-Jewish friends. My cantor came and sang the seven blessings. The music soared over the lake and I bet they heard her in Michigan.

There were no clouds to speak of and just a light breeze. Unseasonably warm, but perfect for a fall wedding. After smashing the glass, on the first try (even though it was a real glass, no light bulb or EZ break glass for your dad), and some hearty Mazel Tovs, it was time for dinner.

While we were outside, the caterer had set up dinner tables and the band set up in the coach house. And we snuck away on a walk for our alone time. We were giddy, floating, it was unreal but so real. We went to the beach by the shul, a few blocks away, but beautiful in the moonlight. Your aunt trailed us and took those photos without us knowing.

The rest of the night was a blur. Dinner, dancing, laughing, candle light, flowers, more laughing, more dancing.

1 Comments:

Blogger wafelenbak said...

My friend Angela married a Jewish man, and they had a mixed-tradition wedding. The "alone time" for the bride and groom was my favorite.
Also? This made me tear up a little. I'm ridiculous!
Also? I need to work more and goof around on the internet less...

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home